Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Beach Dreamin'


It hasn't worked so far. I thought that having a blog about beach reading would mean lots of visits to the beach. To read. Not so. My son's athletic "career" is kinda taking all of our spare time at the moment. And I am NOT complaining. Watching my son on the field is my absolute favorite thing!

Baseball is still going on for us. He made the All-Star team (playing with Saundra's son, you know, The Italian Mamma!) and they have practice every day. Which is okay, they are dedicated boys and they really want to win at least one tournament! Frankie is basically an all around player. He prefers pitching or catching because he gets to have the ball on every play. Of course, he will gladly play wherever the coach puts him. That's one thing about my son that impresses every coach he plays for, he will do as asked, no questions asked. They always remark on how "coachable" he is, what a leader he can be and how passionate he is for the game. Although he will only be in 8th grade, he still agonizes over which sport he "likes" better, baseball or football. He cracks me up because he thinks he has to choose! My husband and I keep telling him, "You can play both!" When baseball is in season, that's his favorite! When football is in season, then that's his favorite! LOL!

Which brings me to football. Any moms have sons who play? EEEEK! Only last season I learned to stop holding my breath during every play. AND, I just found out one of the coaches asked him to play "up" in the Pee-Wee division. I was happy with him losing 3 pounds to stay down in the younger division, but no, my husband (and son) both want to move up. Great. In case you didn't know, Frankie is the center. However, he is NOT built like a center! He is fast and smart with the ball, that's why he plays the position. I am starting to get a leeetle bit nervous about this football season . . . I told him he better start working out and build up some MAJOR muscle. He just says, "I know mom, I know. I'll be fine." Ha!

Anyhoo, that's the basis of our family life right now. Baseball. Honestly, I'm enjoying every minute of it! :)

Little League Pledge
I trust in God
I love my country
And will respect its laws
I will play fair
And strive to win
But win or lose
I will always
Do my best.

2 comments:

Multiple personalities.. said...

The joys of being a sports mom! For us it's martial arts. My son did play baseball one year, but he decided he his heart was more into martial arts. It's nice to meet you via SITS!

Natalie said...

I have 2 boys both very active in sports. One plays baseball, one plays football & they both play basketball. I know what you mean about watching them play any sport, but especially football. He's still my baby even if he is almost 13, 120 lbs & 5'4". Every time he gets on that field, I get butterflies in my stomach. But I love to watch him play b/c he loves it. Gosh.. the things we do for our kids.